As you know, I’m a huge fan of essential oils and all the amazingness they have to offer us mere mortals. One of the most popular ways to use EOs is through aromatherapy. Basically, aromatherapy is the use of the aromatic properties of essential oils to help promote mental and physical health. Read on to learn more about how you can use aromatherapy in your life!
Click here to learn the basics of essential oils!
Did you know that the use of aromatherapy dates all the way back to ancient Egypt?! Something that’s been around that long must be effective! Aromatherapy offers many benefits for your body, mind, and spirit. Here are a few things aromatherapy can do for you:
- Relieve stress
- Promote relaxation and sleep
- Boost circulation
- Enhance mood
- Purify the air
- Relieve headaches
There are several different aromatherapy methods. Some of these include:
- Diffusing– Add a few drops of essential oils into a diffuser to make your space healthy, happy, and heavenly-smelling! I use my diffuser almost every day and every night. Here is the diffuser I use
- Topical application– Apply a dab of essential oil on your skin or mix some EOs into your favorite massage oil or body lotion. Adding lavender to body lotion is my favorite!
- Bath– Drop some essential oils into your bath water to make it a spa-like experience. Lavender and orange EOs are great for this!
Plant Therapy has an amazing starter set that includes all the oils you need to get going – check it out!
Blending Essential Oils
If you want to take your aromatherapy to the next level, try blending essential oils! Blending EOs can help boost the benefits of aromatherapy, compared to just using one essential oil by itself. You can blend EOs to apply on your skin or to use in a diffuser. Below I’ve compiled a few of my favorite diffuser blends!
- Sleep blend: 5 drops lavender & 5 drops tea tree- we always diffuse this blend at bedtime!
- Allergy relief blend: 3 drops lavender, 3 drops lemon, 3 drops peppermint
- Decongesting blend: 5 drops peppermint, 5 drops eucalyptus, 4 drops tea tree, 2 drops lemon
- Energizing blend: 4 drops grapefruit, 3 drops rosemary, 3 drops peppermint
Side note- I am a huge fan of Plant Therapy’s Synergy blends! They take the guessing work out of blending essential oils, and it makes it much more affordable than buying a bunch of different essential oils to just make one blend. They sell a Synergy blend for nearly everything you can think of, from germ fighting blends, to sleep blends, to hormone balancing blends. Check them out!
Aromatherapy is such a great, natural way to help relieve some of the everyday stresses and aches life throws at us. It is an absolute staple in my home and in my personal care routine. I hope this article has given you an idea of how aromatherapy can be beneficial in your life! P.S. I would love to hear about how you use aromatherapy or what your favorite EO blends are, so comment below!